Absentee Location Notification
Candidates Filing for Public Office
The place of filing for federal offices is the Office of the Secretary of State, State Office Building, Room 180, 100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55155-1299. The place of filing for state offices is with the Office of the Secretary of State or with the county auditor of the county in which the candidate resides. The place for filing for County Commissioner and SWCD Supervisor is with the Watonwan County Auditor/Treasurer, Courthouse, St. James, MN. 56081.
Candidates may file in person, electronically or by mail, if the filing is received during the filing period. If filing electronically or by mail, payment must be received in the Auditor’s Office prior to the end of the filing period to complete the filing. The Courthouse is currently open by appointment only. Contact the Auditor’s Office at 507-375-1210 to schedule an appointment.
- Use My Ballot finder to see the names of candidates and questions that will be on the ballot for your precinct. Find links to additional information about the candidates and ballots questions.
- Use Voter Registration Lookup to find out if you are already registered to vote or need to register.
- Use Absentee Ballot Status to find out the status of your absentee ballot status.
The auditor’s office administers the county functions of federal, state, and local elections. This process involves:
- Absentee voting administration
- Administering county recounts
- Ballot layout
- Candidate filings
- Election day signature rosters
- Election judges training
- Election night results
- Electronic tabulation programming
- Maintaining voter history
- Registration of voters
This office is a resource to cities, townships, and school districts in the election process. For further information regarding elections, you may go to the Minnesota Secretary of State’s website.