To qualify for homestead classification, you must:
- Be a Minnesota resident.
- Be one of the owners of the property listed on the application.
- Occupy the property listed on the application as your primary residence.
If a property is occupied by a married owner, the owner's spouse may not claim another property as a homestead unless the spouse does not occupy the house due to one of the following reasons:
- Marriage dissolution proceedings are pending.
- The spouses are legally separated.
- The spouse's employment or self-employment location requires the spouse to have a separate homestead. In this case, both of the following conditions must be met:
- The distance between the homesteads must be at least 50 miles.
- The distance between the places of employment or self-employment must be at least 50 miles.
- There are other personal circumstances causing the spouses to live separately, not including intent to obtain two homestead classifications for property tax purposes.
The assessor may require proof of:
- Distances between each homestead
- Distances between places of employment
- Employment or self-employment
- Employment or self-employment location
- Marriage dissolution proceedings or legal separation
To obtain an application, please call the assessor's office at (507) 375-1205 or stop by the assessor's office in the Watonwan County Courthouse:
710 Second Avenue S
St. James, MN 56081
Applications must be submitted by December 31st.