Veteran's Preference


Pursuant to Minnesota Statutes 197.455, qualified applicants will have Veteran's Preference points added to their passing score if they meet any of the following:

  • Are a citizen of the U.S. or resident alien who has separated under honorable conditions from any branch of the armed forces of the United States and and of the following apply:
    • Have completed the full period federally ordered to active duty
    • Have separated by reason of United States Disabled Veteran Act (USDVA) verified injury incurred while serving on active duty
    • Have served on active duty for at least 181 consecutive days
  • Are the surviving spouse of a veteran (as defined above) who died on active duty or as a result of a USDVA verified active duty injury; or the spouse of a disabled veteran who because of the disability is not able to qualify

Claiming Veteran's Preference

When claiming Veteran's Preference, you must submit a copy of the Veteran's Form DD214 by 5 p.m. on the closing date of the position as well as documentation of a USDVA verified injury, if any. If applying online, fax your form to 507-375-3547 or mail it to:
Watonwan County Personnel
P.O. Box 518
St. James, MN 56081