Alternative Practices

* Any alternative practice must meet and follow Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) standards from the Field Office Technical Guide (FOTG).

Enrollment in Conservation Reserve Program (CRP)

  • Areas enrolled in CRP along public water are compliant.
  • Meet with the Watonwan County Land Management / SWCD to determine where enrollment in CRP is required.
  • Must meet and follow NRCS standards/requirements and work with the Farm Service Agency (FSA).

Minnesota Agricultural Water Quality Certification Program (MAWQCP)

  • Becoming certified and maintain certification meets compliance.



Trees / Shrubs

Perennial Cover Crop

Filter Strip

(Minnesota Supplement: Practice Standard 393)

Any other "Water Quality Practice" listed in the Field Office Technical Guide (FOTG) could be considered an alternative practice. Questions regarding alternative practices, please contact David Haler email, Land Management Director or Kyla Schlomann email, Solid Waste Administrator/Assistant Zoning Administrator.

Ideas or options for alternative water quality practices, please do not hesitate to contact the Watonwan County Land Management / SWCD.

General Office: 507-375-1225